incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][Linux]Drop distro specific RPMs
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 22:32:35 GMT

On 09/20/2012 02:39 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 09/20/2012 05:15 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

RPM but

>>> I'm trying to gather some feedback from forum people. Let's see what
>>> happens on a couple of days.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Ricardo
>>>
>> you can see the code here:
>> http://svn.services.openoffice.org/opengrok/xref/Current%20(trunk)/sysui/desktop/
>>

>> Browsing through the spec, they look quite different process through a
>> vimdiff including some icon definition, and scripts present on a
>> script.
>> http://pastebin.mozilla.org/?diff=1832891
>
> yes, the specs for freedesktop.org (locations,etc.) are different than
> for standard locations of maybe gnome or kde.
>
> The main thing about using this exclusively is how well/how much a
> particular distro implements the freedesktop.org spec I think.
>
> I'm researching that now... it may take a little bit of time though.
> Looks like RedHat actually started this ball rolling so I can only
> assume that Fedora folks wold be OK, here. Some of the others I don't know.

Ok, my very preliminary research shows that the majority of RPM based
distros (Fedora, RedHat, opensuse,) have been implementing
freedesktop.org specs for a while ( > 2 yrs), and the the
architecture/spec seems to be in use in debian-based distros as well --
Debian, Ubuntu. We would need to ascertain if this suite is implemented
by default in those.

MzK

"We never sit anything out. We are cups, constantly and quietly
  being filled.  The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and
  let the beautiful stuff out."
                          -- Ray Bradbury, "Zen in the Art of Writing"