incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][Linux]Drop distro specific RPMs
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 21:39:38 GMT

On 09/20/2012 05:15 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On 9/20/12, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> OK, I finally did this. I uninstalled the opensuse menu setup and just
>>> installed the freedestop.org rpm. Everything is working. But I too am on
>>> opensuse. It would be great to have folks from other distros test this
>>> out.
>>>

>> I'm trying to gather some feedback from forum people. Let's see what
>> happens on a couple of days.
>>
>> Regards
>> Ricardo
>>
> you can see the code here:
> http://svn.services.openoffice.org/opengrok/xref/Current%20(trunk)/sysui/desktop/
>
> Browsing through the spec, they look quite different process through a
> vimdiff including some icon definition, and scripts present on a
> script.
> http://pastebin.mozilla.org/?diff=1832891

yes, the specs for freedesktop.org (locations,etc.) are different than
for standard locations of maybe gnome or kde.

The main thing about using this exclusively is how well/how much a
particular distro implements the freedesktop.org spec I think.

I'm researching that now... it may take a little bit of time though.
Looks like RedHat actually started this ball rolling so I can only
assume that Fedora folks wold be OK, here. Some of the others I don't know.

MzK

"We never sit anything out. We are cups, constantly and quietly
  being filled.  The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and
  let the beautiful stuff out."
                          -- Ray Bradbury, "Zen in the Art of Writing"