incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [QA] Quality of bug reports and QA in bugzilla
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 14:20:20 GMT
On 20.09.2012 16:54, TJ Frazier wrote:
> On 9/20/2012 00:12, Herbert Duerr wrote:

>>> I agree with Oliver, the default status should be set to UNCONFIRMED
>>> even if the reporter has canconfirm privileges. IMHO "confirmed" means
>>> "confirmed by some else".
>>
>> Seeing so much consensus I'm confident that we'll reach "lazy consensus"
>> by next monday (2012/9/19 + 72h) and I volunteer to change the behavior
>> then.
>>
>> So please speak up now if you disagree with the opinion that the extra
>> step to the "confirmed" status is an idea that does benefit the quality
>> of our project.
>>
>> Herbert
>>
> +1
>
> Just for the record, is this as simple as removing the check-mark from
> one entry in BZ > Administration > Bug Status Workflow ?

 From a testing standpoint having the policy that a "confirmed" status
means that another member has reproduced the problem (eventually on
another platform) means more testing effort by some factor. That may
have a positive or a negative effect on the quality.

Another possibility could be that a reporter with can-confirm karma
feels confident enough can set the status to confirmed himself/herself.
Having to do an extra step could be sufficient for our goals.

Coming back to your question: Yes, from the admin standpoint the
requested change is as simple as switching a bit. An eventual
multiplication of the testing effort is worth some consideration though
and "just switching bits because it is easy" shouldn't be done without
having reached some consensus on this topic.

Herbert