incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: Clipart library
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 06:21:56 GMT
On 19.09.2012 17:19, Ian Lynch wrote:
> On 17 September 2012 22:16, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm organising the Open clipart library into categories. We could use
>>> this then as a useful resource to complement AOO. Any thoughts about
>>> the best way to implement making the categorised library available to
>>> the community?
>>>

>> Taxonomies are limiting, especially if a given clipart can live in
>> only one place.  Tagging is more flexible.  And searching is even more
>> so.
>>
>> I noticed they have a REST API for searching OCAL, which is based on
>> text queries, e.g.:
>>
>> http://openclipart.org/api/search/?query=trombone&page=1
>>
>> So one option might be to have a smaller, curated set of
>> top-quality/most-commonly-used clipart pre-included in the install,
>> but then also have an in-product interface for searching the complete
>> online collection.  Could also allow searching of other public domain
>> image sources, including Flickr Common, Wikipedia, etc.
>
> That is exactly what I had in mind. For none technical users, seeing
> some images in the gallery on installation provides confidence apart
> from anything else. Few casual users will know how to use the search
> facilities on OCAL and many would not even know what OCAL was. It
> really has to be intuitive and simple for the most limited end users
> :-). The quickest and simplest start is to provide a simple set on
> install. Then look at adding search to the user interface. Snag I'm
> thinking about at the moment is that ideally the curated included set
> would be vectors but most are in .svg not .odg format so we lose the
> editing which is a key reason to have them as vectors.

Indeed we cannot edit SVG directly and it would be hard to achieve this,
but you can 'Break' SVG objects and work on the resulting SdrObjects.
These can also be exported again in SVG format, but the roundtrip ist
stil far away from being good enough to call it an SVG editor (I'm
thinking about next steps :-))

> We could just
> use png but that's not ideal. Longer term it would be better for AOO
> to support svg fully, but that is a big job.

Yes...

Sincerely,
	Armin
--