incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][PMC] Proposed PMC List
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 19:26:05 GMT

On 09/19/2012 10:38 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> On 12-09-19, at 12:09 , Rob Weir <> wrote:
>> How would you deal with "opacity here as to how these names were
>> suggested"?  These are individual's stated preferences.  Nothing
>> more, nothing less.  Unless we require that everyone give a
>> complete, detailed justification for every name they pick, what can
>> we do?  A wiki certainly doesn't change that.
> It depends on how the wiki is set up. For instance, the header of the
> wiki could state, as the subject line here does,
> "Preference/Proposed…." and then go on in one sentence to explain,
> "the names proposed derive from the overall committer list (or
> whatever) and are those valued by the individual proposer. The final
> PMC list itself will likely change as the project evolves and will be
> composed of those names suggested here." It could then clarify who is
> able to propose names and stipulate a deadline.
> Further, it could clarify that in future, a different process
> operate, and that this process now is essentially ad hoc to resolve a
> late-summer slowdown stalemate.
> This page could further clarify what other pages do: the point of the
> PMC.
> In this way, a wiki can provide more than a mail list post.
> Louis

Yes, a wiki can provide more than a mail post, but I think this exercise
is valid, and provides a convenient way for *anyone* on this list to
express an "opinion" without explicitly stating why. I actually think
this is a point in the mailing lists favor. This approach is simple and
based on impressions of individuals involved with this project. I don't
see much wrong with that. Picking "10" has been difficult for all of us,
but I did understand that "10" was not a magic number for the final PMC.

I agree with Juergen that we should complete this circle. I've found it
pretty interesting so far.

"We never sit anything out. We are cups, constantly and quietly
  being filled.  The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and
  let the beautiful stuff out."
                          -- Ray Bradbury, "Zen in the Art of Writing"

View raw message