incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <is...@volo-net.com>
Subject Re: Amazon Download of Apache OpenOffice 3.4
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 07:10:03 GMT
On 17/09/2012 19:01, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2012, at 12:45 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>
> 8. Going through the one-click purchase of the $0.00 software, I was not sent the executable.
 Instead, I was sent an "Amazon OpenOffice 34 by Apache" downloader executable.  I ran it.
 It is a simple dialog with a progress bar, the gull button, and a message that the item can
be downloaded again from my software library. It downloads the software.  It doesn't say where.

> This name is a branding issue that must be fixed immediately.
>
> This should probably be handled by Shane as VP of branding.

I kinda  doubt it.  Shane can correct me if I'm way off here, but
remember that the Apache license explicitly permits redistribution of
software, so in general you have 2 big categories of downloads:

<IANAL>

1) Folks redistributing the exact artifacts calling the "Apache
OpenOffice" - while this is technically a trademark infringement, the
nature of channels which would distribute like this is usually not
something that the foundation and/or project would be overly concerned
about; after all, it's just like another mirror - it's still the exact
same software in the same box (or close enough to not matter, although
packaging changes would certainly be a valid reason for concern), so the
worst that would normally happen there is a slap on the wrist if they
don't have the correct trademark notices on the page, and we noticed it.

2) Folks redistributing the exact artifacts or modified artifacts
calling them something other than "Apache OpenOffice" (or other
trademarks that we own, like old OOo trademarks), in which case the
license also permits it, since they're not claiming to "be" AOO
(although use of *our* gulls can be an issue)..  This covers all of the
eBay offers, all of the bundled download offers, and whatever else might
annoy us.  I'm pretty sure that such artifacts can be "based on AOO" or