incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <is...@volo-net.com>
Subject Re: Amazon Download of Apache OpenOffice 3.4
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 06:58:09 GMT
On 17/09/2012 09:50, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
>  15. The next time I ran an e-mail check, I received an Amazon.com Order Confirmation
for my $0.00 purchase.  It also reminds me where I can go to download the software from my
Games and Software Library at Amazon.com.

> The use of the desktop for a temporary locations is pretty awful.  This is in addition
to the fact that the default installer location of the setup files folder is also on the desktop.
 I expected better of Amazon.

> My guess is they required a signed exe for the initial download.
> Since Apache does not provide one, Amazon's workaround was via this
> downloader app.  I'd bet that this hack was to get around browser
> warnings about unsigned code.
Don't think so.  I'm pretty sure that their wrapper downloader
authenticates to their eStore to block downloads that you didn't
purchase.  I've bought a few bits of software (usually games :)) from
them in the past, and they all work this way.  Though I agree that
downloading to the desktop with no real prompt to change that default is
a bit non-intuitive (though again, this is a symptom of their
downloader, not product specific)

Recall that Dennis said he had to "purchase for $0.00".

  Issac