incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DOCUMENTATION] is the "contribute" information still valid
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 22:36:16 GMT

On 09/18/2012 03:23 PM, TJ Frazier wrote:
> On 9/18/2012 15:34, Kay Schenk wrote:

>>> Hi, Kay,
>>>
>>> AFAIK, the info there is mostly valid. There are some product names to
>>> be changed a little; I would have done that, but maybe you work like I
>>> do: having some little stuff to fix helps me to concentrate on the rest
>>> of the text.
>>>
>>> There are some things, like the lack of mentoring, which I wish weren't
>>> valid, but fixing those is a much bigger problem.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> /tj/
>>
>> TJ--
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback. I also see that using the wiki to contribute
>> isn't really mentioned except for the Developer Guides. So...I will
>> probably add something about that. Also, I'm not sure about suggesting
>> direct contribution to Developer Guides. Maybe someone else can comment
>> about that.
>>
>> On that section regarding "lack of mentoring", etc. Would it be better
>> to just delete this?
>
> I sure wish we /could/ but we can't. While moderating the OO.o doc ML in
> its dying days, I got about one volunteer per week, like this: "I just
> love OpenOffice! I've done some writing in school, and I have some free
> time. How can I help?" The brutally honest answer, at the moment, is
> "You can't. Most of the what-to-do info is available on the wiki and at
> the ODFA site, but you are not enough of a self-starter to have read it.
> We have no hands available for hand-holding, sorry." (Please note that I
> would hate having to say this.)

oh, I see...

> Vagrant thought: maybe we (whatever doc project AOO puts together) could
> recruit some "volunteer coordinators", i.e., hand-holders. They wouldn't
> have to be writers themselves; literary criticism /is/ available through
> the review process. They would have to learn the system, and where
> everything is, and enjoy guiding fledglings. It's a "people" job, for
> "people" people. IIUC, this is part of the work for editors and
> editorial assistants, at publishing houses.

Yes, this is indeed a good idea. Someone with good MediaWiki skills who
understands the architecture/setup in the Documentation area. Maybe
someone will step up.

>> We need to all work together to maintain all these areas. Any help is
>> greatly appreciated to maintain information.
>>
> I don't really do any writing (only one page in the Basic Guide). My
> help is limited to proofreading, light copy-editing, and technical
> (wiki-tech) assistance. I'm not much use at maintaining the information
> itself.
>
> Thank you very much for taking an interest.
>
> /tj/

MzK

"We never sit anything out. We are cups, constantly and quietly
  being filled.  The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and
  let the beautiful stuff out."
                          -- Ray Bradbury, "Zen in the Art of Writing"