incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [DOCUMENTATION] is the "contribute" information still valid
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 22:23:35 GMT
On 9/18/2012 15:34, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 09/18/2012 04:26 AM, TJ Frazier wrote:
>> On 9/17/2012 18:22, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>> Just a quick question since we're discussing documentation lately.
>>>
>>> I'm looking at:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Contribute
>>>
>>> Are we still OK with this information?
>>>
>>> (from navigation: http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/ ->
>>> contributing link)
>>>
>>> I will be making a few changes to fix some broken links etc and just
>>> thought I'd ask
>>>

>> Hi, Kay,
>>
>> AFAIK, the info there is mostly valid. There are some product names to
>> be changed a little; I would have done that, but maybe you work like I
>> do: having some little stuff to fix helps me to concentrate on the rest
>> of the text.
>>
>> There are some things, like the lack of mentoring, which I wish weren't
>> valid, but fixing those is a much bigger problem.
>>
>> HTH,
>> /tj/
>
> TJ--
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I also see that using the wiki to contribute
> isn't really mentioned except for the Developer Guides. So...I will
> probably add something about that. Also, I'm not sure about suggesting
> direct contribution to Developer Guides. Maybe someone else can comment
> about that.
>
> On that section regarding "lack of mentoring", etc. Would it be better
> to just delete this?

I sure wish we /could/ but we can't. While moderating the OO.o doc ML in
its dying days, I got about one volunteer per week, like this: "I just
love OpenOffice! I've done some writing in school, and I have some free
time. How can I help?" The brutally honest answer, at the moment, is
"You can't. Most of the what-to-do info is available on the wiki and at
the ODFA site, but you are not enough of a self-starter to have read it.
We have no hands available for hand-holding, sorry." (Please note that I
would hate having to say this.)

Vagrant thought: maybe we (whatever doc project AOO puts together) could
recruit some "volunteer coordinators", i.e., hand-holders. They wouldn't
have to be writers themselves; literary criticism /is/ available through
the review process. They would have to learn the system, and where
everything is, and enjoy guiding fledglings. It's a "people" job, for
"people" people. IIUC, this is part of the work for editors and
editorial assistants, at publishing houses.

> We need to all work together to maintain all these areas. Any help is
> greatly appreciated to maintain information.

I don't really do any writing (only one page in the Basic Guide). My
help is limited to proofreading, light copy-editing, and technical
(wiki-tech) assistance. I'm not much use at maintaining the information
itself.

Thank you very much for taking an interest.

/tj/