incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Amazon Download of Apache OpenOffice
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:58:27 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Donald Harbison  wrote:
>> My Amazon contact informed me by email on Sep 12 that Apache OpenOffice is
>> now available for download.

Is this US only? I can't find it on amazon.it: searching "Office"
reveals, buried after many results, an old copy of StarOffice and an old
OpenOffice manual+DVD. Searching "OpenOffice" only shows the latter.

> If we have a contact at Amazon we might want to go through them to
> make some small changes to the product listing.

Adding at least the most popular localized versions would be good too.

> The real downloads will come from
> Amazon customers searching for "office", "office suite" or
> "productivity applications", and seeing the listing for Apache
> OpenOffice (with a cost of zero) side by side with listings for
> Microsoft Office, Corel Office, etc.

And they will get a downloader app, which is in most cases a potential
symptom of malware, even though in this particular case it's fine and it
offers the unmodified official package. Is there anything we can do to
have them offer the official package immediately? Would signing the
installer be enough, or there are other problems? (I know that signing
the installer would require a lot of discussion, but if we are aware of
other problems it would be good to know all of them).

Regards,
   Andrea.