incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joost Andrae <Joost.And...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Did we ever reach consensus on support for Windows 2000
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2012 21:14:59 GMT
Hi,

> I was going through FAQ's and other pages on the AOO (incubating) site
> and noticed that many still are showing that we support Windows 2000 as
> a baseline operating system. I though I remembered some discussions a
> while back on this list around that subject and thought we had decided
> that we would no longer do that due to lack of testing resources.
>
> I went back through the archives and did find a number of threads but
> they never seemed to reach a definite conclusion. I we are going to
> continue to support it all well and good, but if we cannot then all
> FAQ's and other documentation on the site should change to reflect that.

IMO if it is technically feasible then AOO should further support this
legacy operating system - even if there is a restricted QA resouce for
this OS. But I doubt that updates within the Windows development
libraries will allow this for a longer time. StarOffice and
OpenOffice.org had defined a rigid baseline to support legacy operating
systems as long as the development libraries allowed a secure
environment for Windows, Linux and for Solaris. Some environments had to
be given-up (like support for Solaris on Sun SparcStations)  because
security leaks, newer C++ compilers and performance enhancements of
newer libraries didn't allow to support the former library baseline. But
if it doesn't hurt, then "why not" to support it....

It is very important for the whole project to further support a
development environment baseline.

...just an opinion...

Kind regards, Joost