incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <>
Subject Re: [User Docs] What do we as a community want for user documentation or AOO
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2012 20:17:29 GMT
On 9/16/2012 14:04, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> Kay Schenk wrote:
>> On 09/15/2012 06:18 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>>> Greetings All;
>>> In order to stimulate some discussion on user documentation I have added
>>> the hollowing page to the User Documentation Plan on the Plannig Wiki:
>>> It offers 3 scenarios or the creation of the docs. I believe that we can
>>> no longer put this issue aside.
>>> Please take a look at the page and eel free to comment there and on this
>>> list. Also feel free to add to or change any content there.
>>> Regards
>>> Keith N. McKenna
>> Keith,
>> Thanks for starting this and for the wiki doc -- it will be very
>> helpful. Because writing documentation (user guides, howtos, tutorials)
>> is a relatively easy entry point for new volunteers to help out, I've
>> been thinking about this as well the last few days. So, I will make some
>> comments on the wiki page, and probably some changes on both
>> area and the Documentation wiki start
>> page as well.
> Hi Kay;
> Thanks or the comments, fell free to edit the hell out of the wiki doc.
> It is meant to generate some serious discussion on how  we go about
> getting *Quality* documentation.
> I agree that Howtos and even some tutorials are a good entry point for
> people, user guides however may be a bit of a different story. There the
> services of good tech writers are important. That point is what drove
> Scenario 2. Utilizing the work that has already been done as a leverage
> point to get Quality work out in a timely manner. Also there are some
> folks at the ODFAuthors site that have expressed an interest in working
> on the AOO docs, but have shied away due to inactivity. Hopefully if we
> show that we are serious in our attempt we *_MAY_* be able to get some
> additional help.

Hi, Keith,

As a long-time volunteer with ODFA (formerly OOA), I can promise that we
(AOO) can get documents from them. The cost of this option is (1) a
legal review and approval of CC-BY v3; (2) some storage (WG v3.2 is 15.5
MB, so call it 100 or 200 MB per version, probably as .odt and .pdf
files on the Mwiki. The download volume/bandwidth has been too low to
cause any problems, but I have no stats); and (3) a little politeness.

If someone will handle Point (1), so that we have our ducks in a row, I
will volunteer to handle Point (3). I can check on Point (2), but I
don't think it's a problem.

> I will look forward to your edits on the wiki and the doc site.
> As an aside, is there a developer snapshot available or 3.5 yet? I would
> like to start work on the Getting Started Guide on the ODFAuthors site
> and it makes sense to make edits based on 3.5 since that will be the
> most likely next release.
> Regards
> Keith

View raw message