incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Missing Visual C++ Libraries in all recent versions of Open Office installer
Date Sat, 15 Sep 2012 16:20:57 GMT
Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 03:43:10AM -0700, jsmith321@fastmail.fm wrote:
>> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56141
>> In all recent versions of Open Office, many people have complained that
>> they get an error about Java being corrupt. ...
>> missing file "msvcr100.dll" which is included in
>> Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86).
> Thanks for the information. I could reproduce it by removing
> msvcr100.dll from C:\WINDOWS\system32.
> Now, I'm not sure if this is something AOO should fix: AOO is built with
> VS 2008, so its redistributable package is installed with AOO. It's
> Oracle Java 7 that is build with VS 2010, Java 7 has msvcr100.dll in the
> \bin folder, but I guess they should install the redistributable system
> wide.

If including msvcr100.dll can easily fix the problem for users and does
not have side effects, I would be for including it even if the culprit
is Java, or the way it is packaged.

Provided that this won't create conflicts when the Java packaging is
fixed, this would be very helpful for the many users who won't spend
time in troubleshooting and will just dismiss OpenOffice as "not
working" in this (fairly common) scenario.

Regards,
   Andrea.