incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Raphael Bircher <rbirc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Confusion between Macs and the rest of the world?
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:01:00 GMT
Am 13.09.12 10:48, schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:44:46 +0200
> Raphael Bircher <rbircher@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Am 13.09.12 10:34, schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
>>> In most implementations of OpenOffice the configuration information is accessed
through /Tools /Options. On a Mac, this information is accessible through Preferences.  This
other path causes great confusion for Mac users when the problem advisor does not notice the
use of the different operating system.

>>> Is there any reason why Macs use that path, and would it be possible to use the
conventional /Tools /Options path on new builds, instead of, or as well as, the usual Preferences
path on Macs?

>> Mac has UI Guide Lines who are much stronger then on many other Systems.
>> One of this Guide line is to keep any settings in the Preferences. It's
>> on the same places on any Mac Programm. You confuse all experianced Mac
>> Users, if you change this.
>>
>> So a big -100 from my side.
>>
>> We should maybe create a Tutorial about the differences.
>>
>> Greetings Raphael
>>
> Thank you for the explanation, Raphael.  Would it be a good idea to provide _as well_
the standard /Tools /Options?  Then Mac users would have the best of both worlds!

If I'm not wrong you can do this with changing a option in the profile
Folder. But Enable both is not a good option for my point of view. And
this is not the only difference. There are also same different
shortcuts. A native Printing dialoge. A native Spellchecker, and same
other minor things. On Linux you have also same special features. In the
past we try to use OS Specific things, but avoid to have a compleet
different look and feel. A Thing that is not easy and get also harder in
future, I think.

Greetings Raphael