incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]: What should be part of AOO by default or what belongs more into a broader eco-system around AOO
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:02:29 GMT
On 11/09/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2012, at 12:27 AM, "J├╝rgen Schmidt" wrote:
>> Things that comes to my mind where I would always prefer an extension
>> solution:
>> - Connectors to some non free, non open source software based on
>> proprietary API's. ...
>> - Dependencies on external GPL, LGPL libraries.
>> - Rarely used features ...
> I think those are reasonable guidelines.  Amother category is a
> "standard extension" that is under ALv2 and is part of a release.

I agree, these components should be packaged as extensions.

> We should probably think of what install enhancements we can make to
> better facilitate bundling of extensions. To the developer and user,
> extension + easy install integration should feel the same as adding a
> feature to the core.

The main problem is that the ecosystem around OpenOffice is completely
unknown to most end users. It would be a huge leap forward to use the
bottom-right part of the Start Centre to promote this ecosystem
(Extensions, Templates, everything that makes sense) by displaying a
couple lines of dynamic content retrieved from sources we control.
Examples of content we could broadcast there:
- "Add a grammar checker to OpenOffice: [link to LanguageTool/LightProof
on the Extensions site]"
- "Download a CV template for OpenOffice: [link to a template on the
Templates site]"
- "Add clipart to OpenOffice: [relevant link]"
- "Tip of the day: using styles in OpenOffice [link to wiki page]"

This shouldn't be hard to do and it would allow us to make users aware
of the ecosystem around OpenOffice, which in turn means we can be
confident that users will try to find functionality in Extensions if
they don't have it readily available in OpenOffice.

Regards,
   Andrea.