incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Code of Conduct
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 18:02:43 GMT

On 09/11/2012 02:50 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11.09.2012 07:51, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have a code of conduct here:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/list-conduct.html
>>
>> These are the community's code and we should all agree to abide by the
>> code. Maybe there is some more work to do exposing the code. Maybe
>> the  code needs to be modified.
>>
>> Graduation requires the project to be self-governing. What do people
>> think? I think we should discuss a few topics.
>>
>> (1) What are the consequences of breaking the code of conduct?
>>
>> - Loss of merit in the community including the possibility of losing
>> any karma in the project. Karma is the ability to make commits.
>>
>> - Banning from the list. Moderators will need to treat offenders like
>> spammers.
>>
>> (2) Who is responsible for enforcing the code?
>>
>> - it should be enforced by anyone who sees it happening. In most cases
>> a reminder will be enough.
>>
>> - what if they won't stop? who is next? If the PPMC is working it
>> should be noticed, but if not then probably a note to ooo-private.
>>
>> (3) How do we expose the code?
>>
>> - we have unsubscribe links on ooo-users, we could add a link to the
>> policy.
>>
>> (4) Should we update the code?
>>
>> - the code should be edited to include the information decided for (1)
>> and (2)
>>
>> - anything else?
>>
>> Please feel free to elaborate.
>>
>> Let's leave this open for a week to discuss. No need to hurry.
>>

> I also think that we should use these code of conduct as guidelines
> instead of strict rules.
>  From my point of view, we should make clear that certain consequences -
> like to one mentioned above - may occur in case of repeated violation.
> As I do not want that something like this will happen in the future I
> think we can save the time now to discuss the consequences in detail and
> for every case. We just have to make clear the possible consequences and
> that we will decide on case-by-case.
>
> Best regards, Oliver.

I too believe these were basically constructed as behavior guidelines,
and not enforceable codes/regulations. Andrea's comments also seem
worthwhile.

I think it would be advantageous for the ASF (as a whole) to adopt and
publish expected Codes of Conduct.

I see from:
http://community.apache.org/newbiefaq.html#NewbieFAQ-IsthereaCodeofConductforApacheprojects?

that this seems to be project specific and I wonder why.

So, some examples...

General participation, and consequences:
http://opensourcebridge.org/about/code-of-conduct/
http://www.kde.org/code-of-conduct/

More specifics for Board Members (toward the bottom):
http://opensource.org/minutes20100505

MzK

"We never sit anything out. We are cups, constantly and quietly
  being filled.  The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and
  let the beautiful stuff out."
                          -- Ray Bradbury, "Zen in the Art of Writing"