incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]: What should be part of AOO by default or what belongs more into a broader eco-system around AOO
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:05:41 GMT

On 09/11/2012 03:26 AM, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> based on an enquiry for some partnership I think it make sense to
> discuss a general question. Which features, improvements, enhancements
> should be part of AOO by default or which belongs more in a broader
> eco-system around AOO and should be better provided as an extension.
> Means we provide support on basis of technical collaboration to achieve
> the realization of such an extension but we prefer probably the
> realization (hosting) outside of the project to avoid confusion or to
> benefit some parties over others.
>
> There are more things that should be taken into account and I would like
> to hear other opinions on this as well.
>
> Things that comes to my mind where I would always prefer an extension
> solution:
>
> - Connectors to some non free, non open source software based on
> proprietary API's. It can be different when a solution is based on open
> standards and is of more general use like for example a connector or
> better UCP to allow access of file in a CMS via CMIS.
>
> - Dependencies on external GPL, LGPL libraries.
>
> - Rarely used features only important for a minority of our users. I
> think we want to minimize the default memory footprint where possible
> and making these kind of features available as extensions can make
> sense. But it shows also that it can make sense to have extensions
> hosted in our repo as well ;-)
>
> - ...
>
> What do others think about it.
>
> Juergen

I'm pretty much in the "less is more" camp by default with everything in
my life, so I would probably agree with your assessment here. We don't
want to contribute to "bloat".  So...

item #3, definite agreement
items #1 and #2, could you give us some examples of what you mean here?
What are we doing now? What would be eliminated?

MzK

"We never sit anything out. We are cups, constantly and quietly
  being filled.  The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and
  let the beautiful stuff out."
                          -- Ray Bradbury, "Zen in the Art of Writing"