incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: Moderating AOO Public Lists - #2 Moderation
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:23:32 GMT
On 9/10/2012 16:36, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> [Part 2 of tips for list moderators]
>
> MODERATION [AND PRIVATE-LIST SUBSCRIPTION] REQUESTS ARE SENT TO ALL MODERATORS
>
> Since the request is sent as an e-mail, each moderator receives the same request.
>
> The first moderation wins.  You'll receive a notice if your moderation arrives when another
moderator's action has already been taken.  That doesn't happen very often.

> The moderation request has the message being moderated as an attachment.  Be careful
with it.

> I will cover only moderation requests here.  Subscription requests for private lists
are rather tricky.

> 1. SPAM DROPPING
>
> If the message is clearly spam, IGNORE IT.  Using the moderation-request rejection option
will send a message back to the original sender.  That is undesirable.  It confirms to spammers
that they've reached a working e-mail address.  Don't do that.

> 2. OFF-PURPOSE MESSAGES
>
> As a moderator, I don't make it my job to handle messages that appear legitimate but
are sent to the wrong list.  List subscribers can do that.  And if this is happening too much,
it suggests that something needs to be done to help submitters find the correct place more
easily.

> What I do is moderate the message onto the list.  I have rarely used the reject option,
and only when I am confident the e-mail is from a legitimate sender.

> There are two basic ways to moderate a message onto the list.
>
>   1. The message can be accepted in accordance with the instructions in the moderation-request
e-mail.  That is a one-time acceptance.

>   2. Another way is to accept that message and all future messages to the list from that
sender.

> The way to accept all messages from the sender is to make a REPLY ALL to the moderation-request
message.  That is, your reply to the request is addressed to both the accept and the reject
addresses.  (This solution is not always listed in the -help message.  It works though.) You
will have to delete the "non-disclosed-recipients" e-mail address if that appears in your

>   3. An alternative is to send a rejection with explanation.  That is probably not great.
 The messages from the robot are lengthy and cryptic.  It may be difficult for the original
sender.

>   4. Finally, you can reply to the attachment and be helpful directly.  I've done that.
 I don't make a practice of it.  It moves response and awareness of the kinds of questions
from the list to the moderator.  If you *do* do this, it is wise to copy <listname>-owner@
so that other moderators will know what happened.  It is also good to check the list to verify
that some other moderator did not already allow the message through.

> 3. ON-PURPOSE MESSAGES
>
> I recommend the second moderation-in technique for these.  This can also happen when
a list subscriber uses a different e-mail than the one they have subscribed to the list.

> Discussion?
>
>   - Dennis

When moderating a couple of OO.o lists in their dying days, I took a
more aggressive approach to spammers. If they were sending from any of
the large U.S. ISPs (MS, Google, Yahoo, ATT, et al.) I would follow the
complaint procedure to try to get the account closed. (This is a little
different for the different companies: MS wants attachments, while
others want pasted parts of the offending email.) MS in particular is
polite about it; I'd get a note saying that the account has been closed.
Others say thanks, but cite privacy regs, which I consider bogus;
nonetheless, I don't recall ever getting any more spam from a
complained-about account, if the ISP acked the complaint.

Note that this requires careful analysis of the internal headers: the
main address is often munged, and you need to go way down to the last
"received from" header. I have a little list of useful URLs to look up
IP owners and ISP complaint addresses, if anybody wants it.

One real success was with a number of spammers from a .edu address. The
admin I wrote to replied politely that the situation would be handled,
and it was: their spam vanished.

This kind of work takes some time, but it makes the Net better for
everybody, not just our ML.

/tj/