incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clipart library
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:26:50 GMT
On 9/10/12 12:39 PM, Ian Lynch wrote:
> On 10 September 2012 08:01, Shenfeng Liu <liushenf@gmail.com> wrote:

Ian Lynch

>>> <javascript:;>>

>>> <javascript:;>>

We could
>>> use

>>> users to

library available

>>> more
>>> integration
>>> an

>>> we

>>> OpenClipart.org
People,
>>> While
Animals
>>>  with
>>> compliant
AOO gallery
>>> There
>>> trying

) Who

>>> social,
>>> future

>>> the interim, I'll capture a clipart social scenario.

>>> I think we probably don't want bundle it with AOO directly. I can think
>>> of an extended gallery implementation where it is possible to hook
>>> online galleries as well.
>>>

>> +1 (for Clipart as well as Template). AOO should provide a kind of
>> capability (with extensions) to easily search or browse the online
>> resources. It is another perspective of Cloud/Social Integration value.
>>
>> - Simon
>>

>>> Ok in case of OpenClipart it raises the question how it should be
>>> organized/presented to our users. But allowing access to the online
>>> resources will guarantee that we are up-to-date.
>>>

>>> Juergen
>
> I was looking at LibreO implementation of OpenClipart in the gallery.
> Its organised by author name so that doesn't seem to me very helpful.
> I have been talking to the OpenClipart.org people and what I had was
> an old archive - the most up to date is over 1 Gig compressed. That is
> far too big to include in a standard distribution download although it
> could be incorporated with a DVD distribution. The snag with an
> on-line only library is that it will raise a barrier to some people.
> So maybe consider a smaller subset of the most popular images in a
> "standardised set" of gallery themes. 50 would be able to cover a wide
> range of the most popular topics. AOO only comes with 4 populated
> graphics themes and 1 sound. Let's say 5 meg of images distributed
> across those themes and maybe then people can add to those themes
> having got a start. They can always add or remove themes as they like.
> We could devise an "up date" themes option that would then provide the
> option to select further images from an on-line source, perhaps
> openclipart.org itself and automatically filter them into the
> appropriate galleries or access them as needed on-line.

we should then start with working on this, shouldn't we. We have for
example some nice new galleries available from Symphony that we can
integrate easily. And the next step is to define how online galleries
could be integrated. For example favorite images can be stored locally
to provide offline usage etc. or you can mark images as favorites to
easy navigate over them even in a big online gallery. Many open
questions how it can be integrated best without breaking the user
experience.

> Next job I'll do is define 50 themes and populate them with some of
> the most popular images to see how that pans out. Even if we don't use
> this with the main download, a distribution project (if we get one
> going) could produce a DVD iso for down load with a set of extras not
> included in the basic distribution download like with the old OOo
> distribution project.

The question is how it is integrated in the office. Do you want to make
it available as one big extension or 1 oxt for every theme? Both is fine
for me but I would keep as extensions and not bundled.

Juergen