incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joost Andrae <Joost.And...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Clipart library
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:27:56 GMT
Hi,

just to shorten this thread: There is already a possibility to add
clipart to AOO by using the extension mechanism. Just have a look at the
extensions page and search for clipart:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org

>> I think we probably don't want bundle it with AOO directly. I can think
>> of an extended gallery implementation where it is possible to hook
>> online galleries as well.

Bundling clipart unnecessarily enlarges the download. Additionally
clipart bundles need to be proof checked against content that might be
politically incorrect based on local laws. Just remember that symbols of
the german WW2 regime are not allowed to be used in Germany. Clipart
collections containing flags _must_ include the officially used flags
containing no design changes. In Germany eg. it is fined by monetary
penalty or by prison sentence of max. 3 years (StGB ยง90a) if someone
denounces the colours, the flag, the emblem or the anthem of Germany. I
believe similar laws do exist in other countries as well.

> +1 (for Clipart as well as Template). AOO should provide a kind of
> capability (with extensions) to easily search or browse the online
> resources. It is another perspective of Cloud/Social Integration value.

Why do you think it is a good idea to integrate cloud services or social
media into AOO ? I'm not convinced at all. People should decide
themselves which services they want to have added to AOO. And there are
already several cloud based service providers that provide extensions
for AOO (like teamdrive.com). Using extensions for such service
integrations is an appropriate way.

> - Simon
>

>> Ok in case of OpenClipart it raises the question how it should be
>> organized/presented to our users. But allowing access to the online
>> resources will guarantee that we are up-to-date.

The extension framework should be able to guarantee that an extension is
up-to-date, you know...

Kind regards, Joost