incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <>
Subject Re: [EXTENSION] LanguageTool in AOO
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:09:32 GMT
On 9/9/12 3:51 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> RGB ES wrote:
>> 2012/9/9 Marco A.G.Pinto<>
>>> LanguageTool extension ( ) no longer freezes
>>> on AOO 3.4.1 .
>>> Could it be added as default to the next release?
>> IMO, it is not that easy: LT is LGPL, which is not compatible with the
>> Apache license. Being a "real software" I don't think the "mere
>> aggregation" argument is valid here, as it was for dictionaries.
> In itself, the "mere aggregation" concept, as defined by the GPL (and
> LGPL) holds in exactly the same way for dictionaries and software.
> But indeed LEGAL-117
> concerns only dictionaries, so we have asked (and obtained) legal
> approval from Apache Legal for dictionaries only.
> That said, LanguageTool depends on Java too, so it's unlikely that we
> will want to include it in OpenOffice by default. But it's very
> convenient to download it from
> and a link to
> the Extensions website is already shown on the download page.

I don't think that Java would prevent us from including an extension in
the office.

I think it's more the general question what we want include and what
not? Do we have control over the source code or not? I think we should
keep it minimal and allows users to decide themselves.

Especially when we don't have control over the source code. The license
in this case is a further problem and we can easy avoid it by simply not
bundling it by default.

But as Andrea pointed out we can think about ways how we can help users
to find useful enhancements for the office that are available as
extension or on another way.

Just my 2 ct's

View raw message