incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] defining roles for management, coordination, work items...
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 00:50:45 GMT

On 09/08/2012 02:15 PM, tj wrote:
> [...]
>>> - role of distribution manager
>>> - role of buildbot admin
>>> - ...
>>
>> role of translators (l10n)
>> role of infrastructure
>
> role of moderators for various MLs
> role of Mwiki admin (mostly me, now; help welcome)
> role of BZ admin (doing a little of that, just added Dave McKay)
> /tj/
>>

>>>  From my point of view these are more or less areas of the project
>>> which need to be fullfilled with certain actions and coordination.
>>> What I do not believe is that we need to assign certain individuals
>>> on these roles (*).
>>> I agree with J├╝rgen that certain individuals will grow their
>>> expertise in a certain role/area and as a contributor will take
>>> action or raise flag due to lack of resources, knowlegde, ...
>>> I think we already had quite a couple of good examples for such a
>>> habit. But, I also have to admit that for certain other roles we did
>>> not yet succeed as we could and should.
>>> And here comes the responsibility of the (P)PMC - its management
>>> duty, if you want. The (P)PMC as a group takes care that the roles
>>> are fullfilled. E.g., by raising a corresponding gap on ooo-dev, by
>>> calling for discussion and volunteers, by leveraging new and/or
>>> established members.
>>> My thoughts are also based on the fact that Apache had only two roles
>>> in a project to by assigned to a certain individual - the PMC chair
>>> and the release manager.
>>>
>>> As pointed out above, I think that we need to work out the need and
>>> the working tasks for certain roles in our project. This work out is
>>> from my point of view a community task which could or may be should
>>> be driven by the current PPMC in order to demonstrate our
>>> self-governance.
>>
>> This is good. I think that there are four parts in no particular
>> order. We've done a lot of definition already. This is about
>> reorganizing and formalizing the arrangement. Some of these teams of
>> role players will be small and some large.
>>
>> (1) Defining the role so that any volunteer can know how to start
>> helping.
>> (2) Defining who on the (P)PMC will have oversight with the charge of
>> guiding volunteers and identifying committers. This person should be a
>> player-coach and not a manager.
>> (3) Defining workflow around these roles. Different sets of roles will
>> need to work together.
>>
>>     (A) Developing a Release - developer, tester, ux, buildbot.
>>     (B) Building / Passing a Release - buildbot, release, community.
>>     (C) Distributing a Release - distribution, infrastructure,
>> marketing, press.
>>     (D) Supporting Users - forum, tester, ux, community, marketing.
>>
>> (4) What infrastructure the role uses.
>>
>> I think that this should be documented in the incubator website at
>> least for overview and navigation about project roles. Each group that
>> self-organizes around a role should use whatever project resource

This thread is really tremendous work in my opinion! Both the roles and
the workflow groupings!

Documenting it on the incubator website would be most excellent.

>>> (*) except the ones for the PMC chair and the release manager, of
>>> course, as they are part of the Apache Way.

MzK

"We never sit anything out. We are cups, constantly and quietly
  being filled.  The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and
  let the beautiful stuff out."
                          -- Ray Bradbury, "Zen in the Art of Writing"