incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is a good Project Management Committee?
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2012 15:50:38 GMT

On 09/07/2012 04:22 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2012, at 11:41 AM, Andrew Rist wrote:
>
>> I'm not particularly satisfied with current PMC selection process.
>> I think the first pass was actually fairly reasonable, and fairly
>> quickly resulted in a list that contains the people who are serious
>> about the project.  Unfortunately, we haven't been able to find
>> consensus on the next step.  I'd like to propose a different way to
>> look at this which may lead us to a better way to move forward.   I
>> think we can avoid the need to organize the next step around '-1'
>> (i.e. speaking out against potential PMC members - discussions
>> around who to leave off), and instead create an affirmative process
>> where we identify who we want on.
>>
>> What is a good Project Management Committee? Here's my start
>> (please expand on this):
>>
>> * Representative of the diversity of tasks in the community
>> (developers, web/wiki/forum, translators, testers, UX, release,
>> marketing, press, ecosystem, infrastructure) * Representative of
>> the geographical diversity in the community * Made up of the most
>> involved members of the community * Able and Competent to perform
>> required ASF functions (overseeing releases and developing the
>> community) * Represents the community in the best possible light
>>
>> While on one hand I understand why so many of us want to be on the
>> PMC, a large PMC is not necessarily in the best interest of the
>> project.   The PMC should not be making decisions about the
>> direction of the project and on who gets to do what - the PMC
>> should be mostly involved with voting in new committers and
>> approving releases.  The direction of the project should be
>> determined on ooo-dev, and by the people who are active in the
>> parts of the community listed above.
>>

>> My Proposal for the next step in the PMC selection process: I
>> suggest that each of us provide up to 10 names for the PMC.  no
>> spreadsheet - no voting - no '-1s' for now.  Just an affirmative
>> list of the 10 people you think should be doing the work of the
>> PMC.  (the list of names we have produced so far is a great place
>> to start for your list, but it is not exclusive) Anyone can play!
>> PPMC members, committers, the community.   Next we use this to
>> produce a list of the group getting the most votes. (using PPMC and
>> committer lists as more binding)   We can use this to produce the
>> next pass at the proposed PMC roster, hopefully a PMC of around 20
>> members.
>
> If we are doing this then the list should start with the full current
> list of committers all as candidates. Contributors lists are
> tabulated separately and compared. (Apache Flex did something similar
> for a logo contest.)
>
> If a non-committer is selected that would be unusual, but not a
> problem. (Maybe an mail archive access issue, but that is Infra and
> should not be a concern.)
>
> Make the list 10. If someone can't come up with 10 then let's allow
> [...]

I think Andrew's idea has a lot of merit, and we should try this. Dave's
advice about using the committer list for selection seems the most
reasonable way to start.

With the list of PMC attributes here, I think this will be a great way
to get input from everyone.

MzK

"We never sit anything out. We are cups, constantly and quietly
  being filled.  The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and
  let the beautiful stuff out."
                          -- Ray Bradbury, "Zen in the Art of Writing"