incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From tj ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] defining roles for management, coordination, work items...
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2012 21:15:41 GMT
On 9/8/2012 13:50, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2012, at 6:50 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to give my thoughts on defining roles for management, ... as the thread
"Specific actions needed for developing the community" tends to become a general one on this
topic.

>> For me we, the AOO community, need to have an idea about the different roles which
need to be fullfilled to drive our project:
>> - role of developer
>> - role of forum admin
>> - role of tester
>> - role of UX practitioners
>> - role of release manager
>> - role of community manager
> 	internal / project(?)
>> - role of marketing person
> 	external / ecosystem(?)
>> - role of press contact
>> - role of distribution manager
>> - role of buildbot admin
>> - ...
>
> role of translators (l10n)
> role of infrastructure

role of moderators for various MLs
role of Mwiki admin (mostly me, now; help welcome)
role of BZ admin (doing a little of that, just added Dave McKay)
/tj/

>>  From my point of view these are more or less areas of the project which need to
be fullfilled with certain actions and coordination.
>> What I do not believe is that we need to assign certain individuals on these roles
(*).
>> I agree with J├╝rgen that certain individuals will grow their expertise in a certain
role/area and as a contributor will take action or raise flag due to lack of resources, knowlegde,
>> I think we already had quite a couple of good examples for such a habit. But, I also
have to admit that for certain other roles we did not yet succeed as we could and should.
>> And here comes the responsibility of the (P)PMC - its management duty, if you want.
The (P)PMC as a group takes care that the roles are fullfilled. E.g., by raising a corresponding
gap on ooo-dev, by calling for discussion and volunteers, by leveraging new and/or established
members.
>> My thoughts are also based on the fact that Apache had only two roles in a project
to by assigned to a certain individual - the PMC chair and the release manager.

>> As pointed out above, I think that we need to work out the need and the working tasks
for certain roles in our project. This work out is from my point of view a community task
which could or may be should be driven by the current PPMC in order to demonstrate our self-governance.

> This is good. I think that there are four parts in no particular order. We've done a
lot of definition already. This is about reorganizing and formalizing the arrangement. Some
of these teams of role players will be small and some large.

> (1) Defining the role so that any volunteer can know how to start helping.
> (2) Defining who on the (P)PMC will have oversight with the charge of guiding volunteers
and identifying committers. This person should be a player-coach and not a manager.
> (3) Defining workflow around these roles. Different sets of roles will need to work together.
>
> 	(A) Developing a Release - developer, tester, ux, buildbot.
> 	(B) Building / Passing a Release - buildbot, release, community.
> 	(C) Distributing a Release - distribution, infrastructure, marketing, press.
> 	(D) Supporting Users - forum, tester, ux, community, marketing.
>
> (4) What infrastructure the role uses.
>
> I think that this should be documented in the incubator website at least for overview
and navigation about project roles. Each group that self-organizes around a role should use
whatever project resource makes sense for them.