incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject What is a good Project Management Committee?
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 18:41:12 GMT
I'm not particularly satisfied with current PMC selection process. I
think the first pass was actually fairly reasonable, and fairly quickly
resulted in a list that contains the people who are serious about the
project.  Unfortunately, we haven't been able to find consensus on the
next step.  I'd like to propose a different way to look at this which
may lead us to a better way to move forward.   I think we can avoid the
need to organize the next step around '-1' (i.e. speaking out against
potential PMC members - discussions around who to leave off), and
instead create an affirmative process where we identify who we want on.

What is a good Project Management Committee?
Here's my start (please expand on this):

  * Representative of the diversity of tasks in the community
    (developers, web/wiki/forum, translators, testers, UX, release,
    marketing, press, ecosystem, infrastructure)
  * Representative of the geographical diversity in the community
  * Made up of the most involved members of the community
  * Able and Competent to perform required ASF functions (overseeing
    releases and developing the community)
  * Represents the community in the best possible light

While on one hand I understand why so many of us want to be on the PMC,
a large PMC is not necessarily in the best interest of the project.
The PMC should not be making decisions about the direction of the
project and on who gets to do what - the PMC should be mostly involved
with voting in new committers and approving releases.  The direction of
the project should be determined on ooo-dev, and by the people who are
active in the parts of the community listed above.

My Proposal for the next step in the PMC selection process:
I suggest that each of us provide up to 10 names for the PMC.  no
spreadsheet - no voting - no '-1s' for now.  Just an affirmative list of
the 10 people you think should be doing the work of the PMC.  (the list
of names we have produced so far is a great place to start for your
list, but it is not exclusive) Anyone can play! PPMC members,
committers, the community.   Next we use this to produce a list of the
group getting the most votes. (using PPMC and committer lists as more
binding)   We can use this to produce the next pass at the proposed PMC
roster, hopefully a PMC of around 20 members.

Andrew