incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Duplicate code in module binfilter [was: Re: svn commit: r1379349 - in /incubator/ooo/trunk/main: offapi/com/sun/star/sheet/ offapi/type_reference/ oox/inc/oox/xls/ oox/source/xls/ sc/inc/ sc/source/core/data/ sc/source/core/tool/ sc/source/filte
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 17:46:35 GMT
On 04/09/2012 Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
> There is a misunderstanding.
> The module binfilter contains the needed code to import/export legacy
> binary StarOffice file format in order to remove this code from the main
> code base.
> Module binflter is more or less a dead module, which hopefully can be
> removed in some future major version.

There's an important detail not to miss in Oliver's message: we are
talking about the StarOffice formats, not the OpenOffice formats.

In other words:
- obviously the current format (ODT, ODS, ODP...) will be supported
- the older OpenOffice 1.x format (SXW, SXC, SXI) will be supported
- the ancient StarOffice format (SDW, SDC, SDA) is the one being
discussed here; if I recall correctly, it's the pre-2000 format used by
StarOffice up to version 5, before the code was relicensed and
OpenOffice started. OpenOffice already has a built-in document converter
to convert these files to ODF.

Regards,
   Andrea.