incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <>
Subject Re: Duplicate code in module binfilter [was: Re: svn commit: r1379349 - in /incubator/ooo/trunk/main: offapi/com/sun/star/sheet/ offapi/type_reference/ oox/inc/oox/xls/ oox/source/xls/ sc/inc/ sc/source/core/data/ sc/source/core/tool/ sc/source/filte
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 15:56:08 GMT
	Hi Andrew,

On 06.09.2012 14:45, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
> On 09/06/2012 12:41 AM, Juergen Schmidt wrote:

>> Nevertheless do we have to look forward and should drop really old
>> stuff that makes more problems and blocks innovation than it helps.
>> Juergen
> OK, thanks.... I will be intentional about finding older files and
> converting them to a newer format soon. Older versions may be available,
> but that assumes that the older versions will still run on the newer
> platforms; which is not always the case.
> Yes, I understand the reasons and will be able to help spread the word
> (as it were). :-)

The binfilters and thus the old binary import/exports really are at EOL:

- It's an undocumented, non-open proprietary binary format (normally
people complain about this loudly)
- All versions of AOO/SO/LO/Symphony since ODF1.0 support until today on
all systems can be used to convert still existing old files (put a copy
of your favourite office besides your old files; why archive only files?)
- Binfilter code is not really 'updated' and thus maybe/is open to known
- As a preparation step, export to the old formats is deactivated since
some time (no complains so far, thus not really used)
- Old formats get no new data format extensions; they can only hold
something similar to ODF1.0. Newer features/data will be lost in transfer.
- Speed: Do not forget, for loading an old format, it is completely
imported to an old core in binary format, exported to ODF1.0, converted
to ODF1.2 and impotrted. Same for export, but vice-versa.
- Build environment/build time: Don't ask, it's a nightmare sometimes.
- As Juergen said: It's not free just to keep it around (as many think),
it needs to be supported. New compilers, new systems, warning-free code,
data types, ... Wouldn't it be better to set ressoures on new stuff...?

There are more, just a list from my mind...

View raw message