incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] defining roles for management, coordination, work items...
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:50:10 GMT
Hi,

I would like to give my thoughts on defining roles for management, ... as the
thread "Specific actions needed for developing the community" tends to become a
general one on this topic.

For me we, the AOO community, need to have an idea about the different roles
which need to be fullfilled to drive our project:
- role of developer
- role of forum admin
- role of tester
- role of UX practitioners
- role of release manager
- role of community manager
- role of marketing person
- role of press contact
- role of distribution manager
- role of buildbot admin
- ...

 From my point of view these are more or less areas of the project which need to
be fullfilled with certain actions and coordination.
What I do not believe is that we need to assign certain individuals on these
roles (*).
I agree with J├╝rgen that certain individuals will grow their expertise in a
certain role/area and as a contributor will take action or raise flag due to
lack of resources, knowlegde, ...
I think we already had quite a couple of good examples for such a habit. But, I
also have to admit that for certain other roles we did not yet succeed as we
could and should.
And here comes the responsibility of the (P)PMC - its management duty, if you
want. The (P)PMC as a group takes care that the roles are fullfilled. E.g., by
raising a corresponding gap on ooo-dev, by calling for discussion and
volunteers, by leveraging new and/or established members.
My thoughts are also based on the fact that Apache had only two roles in a
project to by assigned to a certain individual - the PMC chair and the release
manager.

As pointed out above, I think that we need to work out the need and the working
tasks for certain roles in our project. This work out is from my point of view a
community task which could or may be should be driven by the current PPMC in
order to demonstrate our self-governance.

Best regards, Oliver.

(*) except the ones for the PMC chair and the release manager, of course, as
they are part of the Apache Way.