incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is a good Project Management Committee member?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 16:11:40 GMT

On 09/05/2012 01:40 AM, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> some time ago we expressed, that we think the project is ready to
> graduate. In the process of graduating, a proposal for a Project
> Management Committee (PMC) will be brought to the Apache Board. Although
> discussion about individual persons will not be done public, it is
> important to get a shared conviction about the criteria for our PMC
> members.
>
> You find information about project management and the role of the PMC in
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
>
> With permission of J├╝rgen Schmidt I will show his items:
> "For me a good PMC member is somebody
> - who is active and visible in the project. It's important that others
> can see or better are able to recognize valuable contributions.
> - who driving the project forward by helping others to join the project,
> or helping other in general to find their way in the project
> - who help to grow the eco-system and the popularity of the project, eg.
> increasing the user base by promoting the project actively on
> conferences, via new medias, etc.
> - who take responsibility for tasks that have to be done and that help
> to drive the project forward or that help to simply run it.
> - who is able to transport and communicate the vision of the project
> - who is able to prevent misbehaviour and misconduct on our main
> communication tool the mailing lists but also on our extended
> communication tools like social media
> - who is able to bring in new ideas in the project that opens even more
> opportunities to grow and to evolve
> - ..."
>
> And here my thoughts:
> A PMC member...
> ...is a person all can trust in.
> ...preserves overview about several areas.
> ...knows, who is expert in a special area, and encourage people from
> different areas to work together on a topic.
> ...is willing to guide a newcomer.
> ...can identify opposite directions in the community before things
> escalate.
> ...knows about formal requirements and about the Apache structure.
> ...has a vision about the direction of the project, but on the other
> hand accepts reasoned different development without being offended (?
> German "eingeschnappt")
> ...sets a good example in treating others and working for the project.
> ...is reliable.
> ...is willing to assume responsibility.
> ...puts his heart and passion into the project.
>

> Do you miss aspects? Do you think a special item is irrelevant? What is
> essential?
>
> Kind regards
> Regina

I think these criteria are great as "leader" characteristics for any
Apache project. However, I find them lacking in specific technical
qualifications for this  project. So, I would add the following (or
something similar):

* General knowledge of the Open Document specification:
http://opendocument.xml.org/ and operations of the OASIS OpenDocument
Committee

* Knowledge of compliance with ASF "release" standards (this is  already
mentioned this briefly in one of the points but as the essence of Apace
IS product development, I don't think this can be overstressed)
Some information can be found here:
  http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

MzK

"We never sit anything out. We are cups, constantly and quietly
  being filled.  The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and
  let the beautiful stuff out."
                          -- Ray Bradbury, "Zen in the Art of Writing"