incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject What is a good Project Management Committee member?
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 08:40:30 GMT
Hi all,

some time ago we expressed, that we think the project is ready to
graduate. In the process of graduating, a proposal for a Project
Management Committee (PMC) will be brought to the Apache Board. Although
discussion about individual persons will not be done public, it is
important to get a shared conviction about the criteria for our PMC members.

You find information about project management and the role of the PMC in
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

With permission of J├╝rgen Schmidt I will show his items:
"For me a good PMC member is somebody
- who is active and visible in the project. It's important that others
can see or better are able to recognize valuable contributions.
- who driving the project forward by helping others to join the project,
or helping other in general to find their way in the project
- who help to grow the eco-system and the popularity of the project, eg.
increasing the user base by promoting the project actively on
conferences, via new medias, etc.
- who take responsibility for tasks that have to be done and that help
to drive the project forward or that help to simply run it.
- who is able to transport and communicate the vision of the project
- who is able to prevent misbehaviour and misconduct on our main
communication tool the mailing lists but also on our extended
communication tools like social media
- who is able to bring in new ideas in the project that opens even more
opportunities to grow and to evolve
- ..."

And here my thoughts:
A PMC member...
...is a person all can trust in.
...preserves overview about several areas.
...knows, who is expert in a special area, and encourage people from
different areas to work together on a topic.
...is willing to guide a newcomer.
...can identify opposite directions in the community before things
escalate.
...knows about formal requirements and about the Apache structure.
...has a vision about the direction of the project, but on the other
hand accepts reasoned different development without being offended (?
German "eingeschnappt")
...sets a good example in treating others and working for the project.
...is reliable.
...is willing to assume responsibility.
...puts his heart and passion into the project.

Do you miss aspects? Do you think a special item is irrelevant? What is
essential?

Kind regards
Regina