incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <>
Subject What is a good Project Management Committee member?
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 08:40:30 GMT
Hi all,

some time ago we expressed, that we think the project is ready to
graduate. In the process of graduating, a proposal for a Project
Management Committee (PMC) will be brought to the Apache Board. Although
discussion about individual persons will not be done public, it is
important to get a shared conviction about the criteria for our PMC members.

You find information about project management and the role of the PMC in

With permission of J├╝rgen Schmidt I will show his items:
"For me a good PMC member is somebody
- who is active and visible in the project. It's important that others
can see or better are able to recognize valuable contributions.
- who driving the project forward by helping others to join the project,
or helping other in general to find their way in the project
- who help to grow the eco-system and the popularity of the project, eg.
increasing the user base by promoting the project actively on
conferences, via new medias, etc.
- who take responsibility for tasks that have to be done and that help
to drive the project forward or that help to simply run it.
- who is able to transport and communicate the vision of the project
- who is able to prevent misbehaviour and misconduct on our main
communication tool the mailing lists but also on our extended
communication tools like social media
- who is able to bring in new ideas in the project that opens even more
opportunities to grow and to evolve
- ..."

And here my thoughts:
A PMC member... a person all can trust in.
...preserves overview about several areas.
...knows, who is expert in a special area, and encourage people from
different areas to work together on a topic. willing to guide a newcomer.
...can identify opposite directions in the community before things
...knows about formal requirements and about the Apache structure.
...has a vision about the direction of the project, but on the other
hand accepts reasoned different development without being offended (?
German "eingeschnappt")
...sets a good example in treating others and working for the project. reliable. willing to assume responsibility.
...puts his heart and passion into the project.

Do you miss aspects? Do you think a special item is irrelevant? What is

Kind regards

View raw message