incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice Developer Room (devroom) at FOSDEM
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 16:24:37 GMT
Sylvain,

On 12-09-24, at 12:08 , Sylvain DENIS <sylvain.technic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am not a developer but user and representative Apache OpenOffice Belgium. I defend
Apache OpenOffice in education in Belgium (french).
> I will at FOSDEM. This is an opportunity to meet and discuss even if my English is approximate.

Votre anglais c'est mieux que mon français, je pense :-) but how's your Flemish? :-)

I know and am friendly with Nicolas Pettiaux, of Uni. Libre de Bruxelles, who used to be with
Open@Work and was (and remains, I hope) a strong proponent of ODF, open standards, and OpenOffice.

At the time we had our substantive discussions, back in 2008, I think, but maybe later, the
issue of education and OO and ODF was crucial. My argument was and is that ODF and OO should
be used and taught (coding) in post-secondary schools, but also used generally at all grades.

But little has happened. (Of course, this is also true of much bureaucratic movement in Belgium.)
Still, I remain hopeful, especially as the issue of ODF in Belgium and in the EU at large
is increasingly important and recognized as not only a vehicle for democratic goodness but
also economic sanity.

I, at least, look forward to your kind help and contribution and hope we can make this event
a really great event!

ciao
louis

> Regards
>
> Sylvain DENIS
>
> Le 24/09/12 13:20, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :
>> FOSDEM, one of the biggest Free and Open Source Software events in Europe, is coming
again on 2-3 February 2013 in Brussels.

but they must be requested before the end of September. See https://fosdem.org/2013/call_for_devrooms.html

>> I'm available to draft the application for an OpenOffice devroom and post it here
on ooo-dev for lazy consensus, unless:
>> - Someone has already done it (just let us know)
>> - Apache manages applications in a centralized way
>> - No OpenOffice developers can attend (I would appreciate to know that we will have
some full-time developers there)
>> - People believe it is useless (but FOSDEM is a big event and we shouldn't miss it,
since by February we will probably have graduated and version 3.5 could be approaching release).