incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <rabas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]: What should be part of AOO by default or what belongs more into a broader eco-system around AOO
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 16:24:49 GMT
On Sep 11, 2012, at 12:27 AM, "J├╝rgen Schmidt" <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> based on an enquiry for some partnership I think it make sense to
> discuss a general question. Which features, improvements, enhancements
> should be part of AOO by default or which belongs more in a broader
> eco-system around AOO and should be better provided as an extension.
> Means we provide support on basis of technical collaboration to achieve
> the realization of such an extension but we prefer probably the
> realization (hosting) outside of the project to avoid confusion or to
> benefit some parties over others.
>
> There are more things that should be taken into account and I would like
> to hear other opinions on this as well.
>
> Things that comes to my mind where I would always prefer an extension
> solution:
>
> - Connectors to some non free, non open source software based on
> proprietary API's. It can be different when a solution is based on open
> standards and is of more general use like for example a connector or
> better UCP to allow access of file in a CMS via CMIS.
>
> - Dependencies on external GPL, LGPL libraries.
>
> - Rarely used features only important for a minority of our users. I
> think we want to minimize the default memory footprint where possible
> and making these kind of features available as extensions can make
> sense. But it shows also that it can make sense to have extensions
> hosted in our repo as well ;-)
>
> - ...
>
> What do others think about it.

I think those are reasonable guidelines.  Amother category is a
"standard extension" that is under ALv2 and is part of a release.

There are a similar set of considerations for the code author. For
example an extension may be 100% proprietary but a core code change is
always open source. So there are trade-off's depending on business
model.

We should probably think of what install enhancements we can make to
better facilitate bundling of extensions. To the developer and user,
extension + easy install integration should feel the same as adding a
feature to the core.

Maybe EuroOffice is a good use-case here?  They do a lot with bundled
extensions.

-Rob