incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LICENSE text in the user interface
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 13:20:53 GMT
Hi Dave,

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 05:59:33AM -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2012, at 5:30 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>
> > Hi Joost,
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 09:28:41PM +0200, Joost Andrae wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> a side note: IANAL, but in some countries legal texts have to be
> >> translated (eg. in France). Means, if you change something witin
> >> this area you have to accept this requirement.
> >
> > Thanks for the information, I wasn't aware of that requirement. The
> > LICENSE and the NOTICE are included without translation, so this
> > leaves only the README, which is actually translated; the HTML
> > version could be displayed in the default system browser.
>
> I don't think that legal text is translated at The ASF. As
> I understand it the AL2 is fundamental and is NOT to be translated.
>
> Please raise the French legal issue on the legal-discuss <AT> a.o
> mailing list.

I was trying to do some "research" first, all I've found so far is the
"Toubon Law" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toubon_Law

"One broad provision of the law applying to workplaces is that "any
document that contains obligations for the employee or provisions whose
knowledge is necessary for the performance of one’s work must be written
in French." Among other things, this means that computer software
developed outside France must have its user interface and instruction
manuals translated into French to be legally used by companies in
France."

We have contributors from France, may someone can give more insight.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina