incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: BItTorrents -- do we care?
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 03:21:31 GMT
On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:13:24 -0400
Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> I've recently seen a few requests for ability to download AOO via a
> torrent. something we do not currently provide.
>
> I see that OOo did this for legacy versions:
> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/p2p/
>
> According to the scripts on this page, it looks like it was run by a
> "Mike" in the Netherlands (http://borft.student.utwente.nl/~mike).
>
> Is this worth doing for AOO?  Is this critical for any class of user?
> Or just "nice to have"?
>
> I'm willing to help seed the torrents if we think there is a definite
> need for this.  We'd want a few other volunteers willing to do this as
> well.  Of course, ideally we'd have the torrent seeded by an existing
> mirror, but that may not be possible.
>
> -Rob
>

>From time to time on the Forum there are reports from frustrated posters of repeated bad
downloads; these are usually solved after they are recommended to switch  to a torrent download.
 Remember that in some areas of the world communications are still limited to modem downloads
over bad lines. If it is reasonably possible to provide torrents, then we should do so.

I'm off line (immediately) for the next week - London for art exhibitions en route to a meeting
in Birmingham.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>