incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Missing Visual C++ Libraries in all recent versions of Open Office installer
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:15:33 GMT
On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 03:46:16AM -0700, jsmith321@fastmail.fm wrote:
> Being on a 64 bit system I removed the msvcr100.dll from my SysWOW64
> directory and confirmed that Base will not work, it reports that Java is
> corrupt. Copying the msvcr100.dll to the "C:\Program Files
> (x86)\OpenOffice.org 3\program" directory restored functionality to Base
> and wizards.
>
> I'm sure that including msvcr100.dll in the program's main directory
> (where msvcr71.dll and msvcr80.dll are already included) would be a good
> enough solution, unless there is something in the Microsoft licensing
> agreement that says you can't split the files up like that.
>
> Even if it is not the fault of Open Office Developers that it is broken,
> pointing fingers (even in the correct direction) does nothing to gain
> new users.

It's funny how people get dramatic. I wasn't pointing fingers, I was
simply describing my interpretation of the "facts"; the fact is that
there is a bug, that has to be closed as wontfix or left open depending
on a *new* one: install the MSVCRedist (which IMO is no defect, but
a request for enhancement).

I quote again the link in my previous mail:
http://www.duckware.com/tech/java6msvcr71.html it has a dramatic and
hilarious tone, with its bold, italic, and red: "Sun's fix is to copy
msvcr71.dll next to the EXE. But in the future, when Sun moves on to
another msvcr##.dll version, your EXE will still work, right? NO. Your
'fixed' app works just fine now, but when Java 7 ships and requires
msvcr100.dll, your application will once again break. Sun has learned
nothing from this experience because they are recommending a course of
action where they know that EXE's will once again break in the future
when a new Java VM is shipped."

> I hope my comments on this issue are welcomed

Yes, they are :) In fact, you solved the mystery of this bug that
no developer could reproduce (no one can fix something she/he cannot
reproduce).

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile