incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Karsten Burger" <karsten_bur...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Mixed oneway and normal/synchronous UNO interface calls
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 08:20:52 GMT
We have done tests here and it works as described: when a synchronous call follows previous
oneway calls, it waits until the oneeways are finished. The sequence is ordered for the caller
thread.

We used OpenOffice URE and SDK sources Version 2.3.0 (OO680_m5).

As far as I remember our company chose UNO as backbone of the newer, component-based parts
of the software because of

- the minimal overhead when calling into a service when it is in the same process (a virtual
method call)
- the ability to cope with a large number of interfaces and services, also regarding compile
times
- ease of debugging and the possibility to debug across component borders

They use oneway calls a lot: in this way they can reduce the IPC traffic between clients and
a server application. At the end of a task they issue a synchronous call, collecting the results
form so-called "remote variables".

Thanks, Karsten

--
Dr. Karsten Burger