incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From jsmith...@fastmail.fm
Subject Re: Missing Visual C++ Libraries in all recent versions of Open Office installer
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2012 10:46:16 GMT
Being on a 64 bit system I removed the msvcr100.dll from my SysWOW64
directory and confirmed that Base will not work, it reports that Java is
corrupt. Copying the msvcr100.dll to the "C:\Program Files
(x86)\OpenOffice.org 3\program" directory restored functionality to Base
and wizards.

I'm sure that including msvcr100.dll in the program's main directory
(where msvcr71.dll and msvcr80.dll are already included) would be a good
enough solution, unless there is something in the Microsoft licensing
agreement that says you can't split the files up like that.

Even if it is not the fault of Open Office Developers that it is broken,
pointing fingers (even in the correct direction) does nothing to gain
new users. They need to have a product that just works right out of the
(download) box. Open Source software is gaining some headway, but
situations like this cause many people to drop it in the recycle bin and
just go after a purchased solution that works as expected on the first
click. Until this solution was suggested I had uninstalled Open Office
and was looking for another solution myself. But since I like Open
Office so much, I decided to keep checking back on the comments. If I
didn't have experience with it before this problem reared it's ugly
head, I would have just abandoned it from the start.
I hope my comments on this issue are welcomed, and appreciate your time.
Thank you for a great product, that seems to keep getting better, even
despite minor issues like this.
--

  jsmith321@fastmail.fm

--