incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BItTorrents -- do we care?
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 23:25:55 GMT
Hi,

On 12-09-17, at 19:13 , Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> I've recently seen a few requests for ability to download AOO via a
> torrent. something we do not currently provide.
>
> I see that OOo did this for legacy versions:
> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/p2p/
>
> According to the scripts on this page, it looks like it was run by a
> "Mike" in the Netherlands (http://borft.student.utwente.nl/~mike).
>
> Is this worth doing for AOO?  Is this critical for any class of user?
> Or just "nice to have"?
>
> I'm willing to help seed the torrents if we think there is a definite
> need for this.  We'd want a few other volunteers willing to do this as
> well.  Of course, ideally we'd have the torrent seeded by an existing
> mirror, but that may not be possible.
>
> -Rob

Yes. We do care and we do want this, I should think. Can I suggest that we seed it, use the
seeding as a marketing vehicle, and then if no interest, stop seeding?

I'd like to seed with, for instance, the P2P Foundation, too, though of course, that is just
one of many P2P opportunities.

Mike, btw, is a very long time contributor to OpenOffice. And I doubt he's still a student.
I co-ordinated with him something like 10 years ago.

Louis