incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [PMC] Proposed PMC List
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:18:13 GMT
Hi,

On 12-09-19, at 10:29 , "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:

> -1
>
> This procedure lacks transparency and accountability.  It is incompatible with how project
governance is accomplished.

> My recommendation is that those who have some reason to require anonymity with regard
to their nominations (that is what it is, individuals are asked to make 10 nominations) should
send their nominations to ooo-private@ incubator.apache.org.

> The subject should contain "[PMC] Proposed PMC List" and it should not contain any discussion.
 These are simply nominations.  The moderators of ooo-private will accept those posts from
all sources.

> When the compilation of nominations is prepared, *all* submitters of nominations will
be identified in a list as confirmation that their nominations were included.  There should
be no identification of who has nominated a particular individual.  Only the number of nominations
for any nominated individual should be reported.

> It would be useful to have the report double-checked by one or more PPMC members to ensure
that noone's nominations were overlooked or double counted.  (On duplicate nominations, the
usual rule is to use the latest one received.)

I agree with Dennis' comments and suggest that we not use the list for nominations (top ten
list) but rather for notice of a live list at a wiki that can be made more transparent. The
point is that the list via email becomes sedimented, so that the most recent agreements stay
surface, the logic buried, and this sedimentation eliminates the real nature of the PMC dynamic.

louis