incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: What is a good Project Management Committee member?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 15:07:25 GMT
I see two things happening on this thread:  Creation of a laundry list for what a PMC member
should be.  A request for PPMC members to be introspective.

I suggest that there is a single issue that, if it were addressed instead, would unlock appreciation
of what needs to be introduced in order for the podling to graduate.

The feedback offered to us is that this podling has failed to demonstrate self-governance
(in the Apache Way of things), particularly with regard to healthy community building.  That's
the feedback.

It's not about technical skills, the quality of the code base, participation in various activities,
none of those things.

Here are two questions that should be for someone to answer about us:

 1. What would be the visible evidence that the podling, with its PMC, is self-governing and
healthy, with strong fostering of a sustainable community?

 2. In what ways do PMC members demonstrate their commitment to creation and sustaining of
such a healthy self-governing project?

Here's one suggestion: Participants and contributors experience being welcome and valued.

Here's another: Suggestions and discussion is respectful with thoughtful consideration and
honoring of all viewpoints.

I wager that others can say what would have them know they are in an exciting, thriving community.
 What do you see?

I prefer affirmative qualities.  Sometimes it is necessary to also say what would not be evident.
 Bull-dozing, hogging the microphone, etc.  I invite focus on positive qualities.  Perhaps
there is a positive quality on how non-constructive behaviors are dealt with, though.

 - Dennis