incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Amazon Download of Apache OpenOffice 3.4
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:13:16 GMT
Interesting idea about signing of the downloaders.

Both Amazon downloaders are signed, but that does not stop the infrequently-downloaded warning
from Internet Explorer.  (The OpenOffice downloader did not trigger that warning, but the
generic downloader that works with the Amazon Games and Software Library did!)

Of course, running the downloaded OpenOffice.exe is going to raise all of the usual non-browser
warnings.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 23:50
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Amazon Download of Apache OpenOffice 3.4

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
[ ... ]
>  6. Amazon has a Games and Software Library for users.  This can be used to re-download
the software and also get product keys (not applicable for this one).   Out of curiosity,
I followed that link and found that they are still holding tax-return software for the US
2008 tax year that I purchased and downloaded in 2009.  Now the Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is there
now too.

>  7. Amazon has their own downloader.  It is needed to retrieve software from the Games
and Software Library.  I didn't install that, although it is needed to download from the library.

>  8. Going through the one-click purchase of the $0.00 software, I was not sent the executable.
 Instead, I was sent an "Amazon OpenOffice 34 by Apache" downloader executable.  I ran it.
 It is a simple dialog with a progress bar, the gull button, and a message that the item can
be downloaded again from my software library. It downloads the software.  It doesn't say where.
[ ... ]

My guess is they required a signed exe for the initial download.
Since Apache does not provide one, Amazon's workaround was via this
downloader app.  I'd bet that this hack was to get around browser
warnings about unsigned code.

[ ... ]