incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: What is a good Project Management Committee?
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2012 02:21:56 GMT
Rob makes two points on my comments that I want to clarify:

 1. Concerning the handling of security vulnerability reports, that is not the same as "the
community" and it has not stopped the growing of the PPMC.  It is the case that the size of
the PPMC and the degree of inexperience were concerns to the ASF security team.  There was
no evidence of untrustworthiness.  The creation of a small ooo-security group was prudent
and security@ i.a.o insisted on that.  I also don't expect there to be any security@ objections
to whatever PMC is formed.  I would expect an explosion of ooo-security participation to raise
eyebrows at any time.

 2. I did not claim that the PPMC could not invite already-established committers to come
aboard the PPMC. As far as I know, it has simply not done so.  It is the case, as Rob points
out, that there is also nothing to prevent a committer invitation also including a PPMC invitation.
 For the reasons Rob mentions, that hasn't been done lately.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2012 17:59
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: What is a good Project Management Committee?

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
[ ... ]
> I am, nevertheless, uncomfortable with the suggestion that the current PPMC "can't be
considered as having the trust of the community."  I see no evidence of that.

You might review the discussions related to the handling of security
vulnerability reports.  The self-selected PPMC was considered not
sufficiently trustworthy to handle these.

[ ... ]

> There might have been more additional committers on the PPMC, but the PPMC has stopped
inviting new committers to also be on the PPMC.  I don't recall any individual originally
invited to be a committer to have later been invited to become a PPMC member.>

Your statement could easily be misunderstood.  The PPMC did not "stop
inviting" new PPMC members.  What happened is that we realized the bar
was too high to make new contributors both PPMC and Committer at once,
and that it would be faster/easier to bring new contributors in
initially as Committers, e.g., for translators who need access to
Pootle.   There is nothing that prevents a committer from also
becoming a PPMC member.

[ ... ]