incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: What is a good Project Management Committee?
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2012 00:16:58 GMT
I have no position on how the PMC is established.  I have no skin in the game.  I do expect
that the manner of selection might need to be a demonstration that this project is self-governing
and that it fosters community.

I have no problem with whatever size PMC is chosen.

I am, nevertheless, uncomfortable with the suggestion that the current PPMC "can't be considered
as having the trust of the community."  I see no evidence of that.

In particular, I don't see any particular problem that the self-selected initial committers
have created.  The conversation about the size of the PMC emerged from the PPMC itself.

Here's a little history:

Of the initial committers

 55 serve on the current PPMC (and all are committers)
 15 are committers only
 11 did not provide iCLAs and come on board

That PPMC has managed to support creation of the following, as of my last status report to
this list:

 36 additional committers were successfully invited.

 18 of those are also serving on the current PPMC.

There might have been more additional committers on the PPMC, but the PPMC has stopped inviting
new committers to also be on the PPMC.  I don't recall any individual originally invited to
be a committer to have later been invited to become a PPMC member.

 - Dennis