incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: What is a good Project Management Committee member?
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 18:32:32 GMT
Some musings:

 1. I notice that the cafeteria tray is getting very full with these items.

 2. I wonder if using a wiki page would be better for consolidating the consideration of traits
and distinguishing what a PMC member shall bring to the party beyond being a committer.

 3. The "Boy Scout Oath" came to mind for some reason.  Not that it is exactly what we are
looking for, but it certainly provides a kind of elevator speech on what makes a Boy Scout.
 I don't mean this for PMC, but it is interesting as a concept, not in detail.  This is what
it is in the US, and what it was when I was a Scout some 60 years ago: <http://www.usscouts.org/advance/boyscout/bsoath.asp>.
 It's interesting that the Boy Scout Motto is the same everywhere: "Be Prepared."

 4. FOCUS ON COMMUNITY BUILDING?  Something that has been a struggle on the PPMC is addressing
the Podling's actual preparedness and qualification for graduation (the public sentiment that
AOO is ready not being enough).  In grappling with how qualification is demonstrated in terms
of what the ASF requires of a Top Level Project there is a serious question concerning how
well the AOO PPMC fosters community and a healthy project.  It might be that this trait and
how PMC members actively contribute to it is a critical place to focus.  It is a duty of the
PMC, and it is above and beyond the technical skills of the individual members.  Without it,
AOOi does not graduate.

 5. SO WHAT IS A HEALTHY, COMMUNITY-FOSTERING PROJECT?  What is meant by community?  Shane
Curcuru's blog is named "Community Before Code."  What does that mean and what does the PMC
and its membership bring to its fulfillment?

 6. I am willing to be perfectly clueless about this and ask those already steeped in the
Apache Way for guidance.  Based on recent discussions with Shane, I think I see the AOO community
a bit more broadly than he might.  But that doesn't matter.  I think the traits of interest
aren't contingent on having agreement on community scope, but its healthy fostering.

What would that be?  And how is it manifest and evident to all onlookers?

 - Dennis