incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject Moderating AOO Public Lists - #2 Moderation
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 20:36:55 GMT
[Part 2 of tips for list moderators]

MODERATION [AND PRIVATE-LIST SUBSCRIPTION] REQUESTS ARE SENT TO ALL MODERATORS

Since the request is sent as an e-mail, each moderator receives the same request.

The first moderation wins.  You'll receive a notice if your moderation arrives when another
moderator's action has already been taken.  That doesn't happen very often.

The moderation request has the message being moderated as an attachment.  Be careful with
it.

I will cover only moderation requests here.  Subscription requests for private lists are rather
tricky.

1. SPAM DROPPING

If the message is clearly spam, IGNORE IT.  Using the moderation-request rejection option
will send a message back to the original sender.  That is undesirable.  It confirms to spammers
that they've reached a working e-mail address.  Don't do that.

2. OFF-PURPOSE MESSAGES

As a moderator, I don't make it my job to handle messages that appear legitimate but are sent
to the wrong list.  List subscribers can do that.  And if this is happening too much, it suggests
that something needs to be done to help submitters find the correct place more easily.

What I do is moderate the message onto the list.  I have rarely used the reject option, and
only when I am confident the e-mail is from a legitimate sender.

There are two basic ways to moderate a message onto the list.

 1. The message can be accepted in accordance with the instructions in the moderation-request
e-mail.  That is a one-time acceptance.

 2. Another way is to accept that message and all future messages to the list from that sender.

The way to accept all messages from the sender is to make a REPLY ALL to the moderation-request
message.  That is, your reply to the request is addressed to both the accept and the reject
addresses.  (This solution is not always listed in the -help message.  It works though.) You
will have to delete the "non-disclosed-recipients" e-mail address if that appears in your

 3. An alternative is to send a rejection with explanation.  That is probably not great.
The messages from the robot are lengthy and cryptic.  It may be difficult for the original
sender.

 4. Finally, you can reply to the attachment and be helpful directly.  I've done that.  I
don't make a practice of it.  It moves response and awareness of the kinds of questions from
the list to the moderator.  If you *do* do this, it is wise to copy <listname>-owner@
so that other moderators will know what happened.  It is also good to check the list to verify
that some other moderator did not already allow the message through.

3. ON-PURPOSE MESSAGES

I recommend the second moderation-in technique for these.  This can also happen when a list
subscriber uses a different e-mail than the one they have subscribed to the list.

Discussion?

 - Dennis