incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <rabas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is a good Project Management Committee member?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 03:30:13 GMT
On Sep 5, 2012, at 9:20 AM, "Jürgen Schmidt" <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> With permission of Jürgen Schmidt I will show his items:
>>> "For me a good PMC member is somebody
>>> - who is active and visible in the project. It's important that others
>>> can see or better are able to recognize valuable contributions.
>>> - who driving the project forward by helping others to join the project,
>>> or helping other in general to find their way in the project
>>> - who help to grow the eco-system and the popularity of the project, eg.
>>> increasing the user base by promoting the project actively on
>>> conferences, via new medias, etc.
>>> - who take responsibility for tasks that have to be done and that help
>>> to drive the project forward or that help to simply run it.
>>> - who is able to transport and communicate the vision of the project
>>> - who is able to prevent misbehaviour and misconduct on our main
>>> communication tool the mailing lists but also on our extended
>>> communication tools like social media
>>> - who is able to bring in new ideas in the project that opens even more
>>> opportunities to grow and to evolve
>>> - ..."
>>>
>>> And here my thoughts:
>>> A PMC member...
>>> ...is a person all can trust in.
>>> ...preserves overview about several areas.
>>> ...knows, who is expert in a special area, and encourage people from
>>> different areas to work together on a topic.
>>> ...is willing to guide a newcomer.
>>> ...can identify opposite directions in the community before things
>>> escalate.
>>> ...knows about formal requirements and about the Apache structure.
>>> ...has a vision about the direction of the project, but on the other
>>> hand accepts reasoned different development without being offended (?
>>> German "eingeschnappt")
>>> ...sets a good example in treating others and working for the project.
>>> ...is reliable.
>>> ...is willing to assume responsibility.
>>> ...puts his heart and passion into the project.
>>>

>>> Do you miss aspects? Do you think a special item is irrelevant? What is
>>> essential?
>>
>> Is aware of the limitations of mailing lists in communication and
>> actively strives to communicate to engender positive feelings in the
>> audience.
>>
>> Has thought carefully about the role of a PMC member and actively
>> communicated an intention to be active in that role rather than just a
>> name on a list or solely involved in committing code.
>
> we had already some longer discussions on this topic on our private list
> which was the result or part of an ongoing process to define a final PMC
> that we want to suggest to the IPMC and board as it is required for
> graduation.
>
> Regina has provided a link that give you further information about this
> topic and what it means to be a PMC.
>
> I would like to ask everybody (and especially the PPMC members) here to
> think about this as individual and what it means for themselves or if
> they would be interested in being a PMC.

I know someone who had the image of an ideal husband, a long list of
essential qualities, but unfortunately these qualities never came
together in one person outside of cheap romance novels. Unwed, bitter
and old was the end results.

So I tend to think of this from a team perspective: what capabilities
do we need in a PMC?  We're not limited by monogyny laws. We don't
need to find the ultimate uebermensch PMC member. We need a strong
team. And since most team members will be part time volunteers this
suggests they might do one nor two things well but gave little
interest in other areas. We should accept that.

For example we recently had a PPMC member who was derided by a Mentor
for not being interested in the CMS. It was suggested that this was a
failure as a PMC member. I disagree.  It is fine to focus
contributions in one area do long as one takes care to consider the
community wide implications of those contributions and is helping to
grow and support the community in that area.

Think of an orchestra. We don't expect every player to play every
instrument. But we do expect a musicianship, the ability to play your
part well and in a way that fits with the others, knowing that you
might have a solo sometimes, but at other times you might be playing
harmony or even have a rest.