incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <rabas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is a good Project Management Committee member?
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 02:26:38 GMT
On Sep 6, 2012, at 1:17 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2012, at 5:42 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Rob Weir <rabastus@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Think of an orchestra. We don't expect every player to play every
>>> instrument. But we do expect a musicianship, the ability to play your
>>> part well and in a way that fits with the others, knowing that you
>>> might have a solo sometimes, but at other times you might be playing
>>> harmony or even have a rest.
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> I will go further and state that I don't believe that this project is
>> quite there yet.
>
> While the playing together metaphor is great, the orchestra metaphor breaks because there
is no conductor and no first chairs.

There are orchestras without conductors as well, e.g. the Orpheus
Ensemble.   And I don't think sectional leaders are a problem, so long
as it is not exclusionary, e.g., your initial work on ooo-site
demonstrates leadership (taking the lead) of a kind that requires
neither votes nor titles.  In other words, where coordination is
required in a given task beyond a given level of complexity it is
natural that leadership emerges.

> Perhaps a better musical metaphor to aspire to might be Robert Fripp's The League of
Crafty Guitarists [1] I hadn't thought of them for awhile, but I saw them live about 25 years
ago. A big circle of guitarists sharing and passing on riffs.