incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <rabas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [User Docs] What do we as a community want for user documentation or AOO
Date Sun, 23 Sep 2012 14:08:50 GMT
On Sep 22, 2012, at 7:43 PM, "Keith N. McKenna"
<keith.mckenna@comcast.net> wrote:

> Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>> I am not clear what the lazy consensus is about.
>>
>> Clearly, there is no restriction on anyone contributing to User
>> Guides for Apache OpenOffice on ODFAUthors, beyond the
>> terms/conventions/what-ever that apply to contributions there.
>>
>> So I suppose what is being asked for is consensus that there will
>> not, at this time, be any separate effort inside of the Apache
>> OpenOffice project and the project will look to relying on the
>> ODFAuthors site for emergence of updated User Guides.  Contributions
>> should be made there.
>>
>> In other words, there won't be any forking of ODFAuthors work into
>> the project.  I assume that means avoidance of duplicate effort as
>> well.
>>
>> I'm aligned with that direction.
>>
>> - Dennis
> First of all let me apologize if either my as yet limited understanding of "The Apache
Way" or my sometimes terse writing style added to any confusion.

No worries; no problem. You are doing fine.   We're generally oriented
toward making it easy for volunteers to do non-controversial things
without additional process overhead.

In the present case (IMHO) the hard part will not be reaching
consensus on where to do the works. Harder will be agreeing on the
outline of tasks and finding volunteers to do the tasks.  One
approach that might help is to get enough structure developed for the
work that we can recruit more volunteers, perhaps via a project blog
post.

> My intention was to seek lazy consensus o Scenario 2 rom the wiki page as the preferred
way to go for getting an updated Getting Started Guide and or other documentation ready for
the 3.5 release. The main reason I did it was because there was Option 1 which was to shelve
it. It was in no way intended to cut off discussion of where we should go where we go with
documentation for AOO version 4 as that is a major release and has the potential for major
changes to the UI that may influence a re-evaluation of not only the structure of the documentation
but also the presentation of it.