incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Hriň <michalh...@aol.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1377138 - /incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/development/releases/3.4.1.html
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:55:09 GMT
Dňa Fri, 31 Aug 2012 22:39:13 +0200 Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de>
napísal:

> Am 08/31/2012 11:58 AM, schrieb Andreas Säger:

>>> But then we should write a bit more text with another paragraph to
>>> point
>>> explicitely to this specific version when the user needs it. Then the
>>> users can choose themselves:
>>>
>>> a) The most recent JRE 6 if they look for security.
>>> b) JRE 6u23 if they need the AOO Base compatibility.

>>> +1
>>>
>>> So, when this is our consensus I will update the webpage on the
>>> weekend.
>>>
>>> Marcus
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Please bear with me. I created some Oracle account to access their
>> binary attic and went throug a testing parcour on my 32 bit system where
>> I found out that _something_ must have changed between OOo 3.3 and AOO
>> 3.4:
>>
>> JRE version Linux i586 (Ubuntu 10.4, AOO 3.4)
>> 6.0.22 good /which is what I used to use with OOo 3.3
>> 6.0.23 good /don't know about OOo 3.3
>> 6.0.24 good /used to be bad with OOo 3.3
>> 6.0.24(open-jdk) good /used to be bad with OOo 3.3
>> 6.0.35(latest) good /used to be bad with OOo 3.3
>> 7.0.4 bad
>>

>> This is the result for my 64 bit Linux machine:
>> JRE version Linux x64 (Ubuntu 10.4, AOO 3.4.1)
>> 6.0.24(open-jdk) good
>> 6.0.35 good
>> 7.x bad
>>
>> So the issue has a clear red line between JRE6 and JRE7.
>
> Thanks a lot for you testing effort. With this information I will adjust
> the text like the follwing:
>
> [...]
> Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 support Java 7, which is the
> recommended configuration; but (especially on 64-bit Windows) you might
> receive warnings about the Java version being defective. In that case,
> download and install [the most current JRE 6 version | link]. Make sure
> you get the "Windows x86 Offline (32-bit)" file. Then configure
> OpenOffice to use it at "Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - Java". See
> [this forum topic | link] for more information.
> [...]
>
> With this everybody should be happy, right?
>
> Marcus

I'm only comment, for me AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 64bit doesn't work at all
with Orace Java 7 (32 or 64).

The only option that works for me is to use to Orace/Sun Java 6 32bit on
Windows 64bit.
On Ubuntu 12.04 64bit I'm using 64bit openjdk6-jre 64 bit and everything
works (i didn't try jdk7).

Michal Hriň