incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Säger <ville...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: 3.4.1 Crashes on MacOS 10.7.4
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2012 09:56:04 GMT
Am 25.08.2012 09:44, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 4:18 AM, Andreas Säger <villeroy@t-online.de> wrote:
>> Most of this office suite runs very well without Java.
>
> Of course "most" does not include the database component.
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html
>
> "Java is required for complete OpenOffice (OpenOffice.org)
> functionality. Java is mainly required for the HSQLDB database engine
> (used by our database product Base) and to make use of accessibility
> and assistive technologies. Furthermore some wizards rely on Java
> technology"
>
> FC

Even the database component works well without Java.
Connect to some non-JDBC database, add queries and forms. For reporting
you can still use the Calc component.
The most important core functionality is still there, otherwise we could
not print serial letters without Java.
The Java based "wizards" are totally counterproductive anyway. They hide
more functionality than they are able to offer.
Mind that Java is just a major annoyance for many computer users (and
for Microsoft of course). I ran OOo 2.x without Java for many years and
I am a comparatively heavy user of Base.